On March 17, 2017, a new student athletic fee was approved to support athletics programs, facilities and improvement of the student and fan experience. The annual fee is $100 for incoming undergraduate students and $50 for incoming graduate students. Incoming graduate students only may opt out of the fee. As part of the advancement of the student athletic fee, Intercollegiate Athletics (ICA) will establish the Student Athletic Fee Advisory Board beginning in fall 2018. The student athletic fee will be required until the debt service on the approved projects is paid, which is currently projected for 2048, but may change based on the timing of facility project scheduling and actual bond sales.
- Provide transparency for how the student athletic fee is being used.
- Give students direct input into how the student athletic fee is used for the approved purpose of supporting athletics programs, facilities and improvement of the student and fan experience.
- Provide recommendations to the Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics related to student priorities and preferences related to athletics programs, facilities, and the student and fan experience.
ICA’s Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Operations and Chief Financial Officer will participate as advisors. Membership will be annual and consist of the individuals holding the student positions of ASUA President (or their delegate), Graduate Professional Student Council (GPSC) President (or their delegate), ZonaZoo Executive Director, and the President(s) of the ICA Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
The initial term of the board shall be five years (2018-2023), after which the ongoing need for the board will be assessed by the Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics.
The board will meet twice per academic year, once in the fall semester and once in the spring semester.
- Provide board with facility updates regarding capital projects funded by the student athletic fee.
- Membership will serve in an advisory role to ICA for facility master planning priorities for projects being funded by the student athletic fee, ensuring students have a representative voice.
- Board members will be responsible to represent and communicate updates to their student constituencies.
- Collaborate with ZonaZoo about the use of a portion of their budget to compliment the student fee projects to benefit students (for example, improved facility connectivity).
- Discuss the use of the funds and student priorities for future use