Academic Program Approval

New Academic Major and Minor Programs

Proposed new academic major and minor programs require approval from committees.  Curricular Affairs works with academic units to assist them through the approval process.  Completion of the entire approval process may require four months to a year.  Departments are encouraged to meet with Curricular Affairs in the initial stages of undergraduate program proposal development and Maggie Pitts, Associate Dean of the Graduate College, in the initial stages of graduate program proposal development. 

View more

Undergraduate Certificates

An undergraduate certificate is a focused, structured and interrelated set of courses that enhances the undergraduate experience in an emerging academic area, addresses a professional development need, or provides "step-up" preparation for a degree program.


View more

Graduate Certificates

Graduate Certificates are specialized sets of courses and/or curriculum consisting of a minimum of 9 credits. Certificates should enhance existing programs, not take the place of them. Sufficient resources must exist to support the certificate without penalizing existing academic programs including options and minors.

View More

Accelerated Master’s Program

Accelerated Master’s Programs (AMPs) offer exceptional undergraduate students in selected majors the opportunity to earn both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in as few as five years. AMPs are for top undergraduates in participating majors who plan to continue in a graduate program in the same, or closely related, UA discipline.

View More

Graduate UA Dual Degrees

Graduate UA Dual Degrees result in the awarding of two degrees by the UA. There is some overlap of course work so that the total number of units required and the time required to complete the two degrees is reduced. 

View More

Graduate UA-Partner Institution Dual Degrees

A dual degrees agreement is a binding, legal contract formalizing the terms of collaboration between the UA and the partner institution. The partner institutions involved review each other’s curriculum in the desired degree program and determine an appropriate plan of study that involves taking coursework at both institutions.

View More

Program Modifications

Approval of curricular updates including academic program modifications and disestablishment require Curricular Affairs approval.  Some modifications also require additional on-campus and ABOR approvals.  For more information on the curricular update process, please consult the Undergraduate Proposal Table and Graduate Program Proposal Table.